You can download my CV here.
- Designed website “Above clouds and below the sea” for Internet Society Fellowship (2022)
- Designed zine (“networks in the wild!”) for international conference, DIY Methods (2022)
- Designed, coded, and co-presented digital art and multimedia project about international supply chains used for technology, titled supply-chains.us & resource-project.co (2021)
- Created open source list of resources for research, open-source-social-science.github.io (2021)
- Designed mock-up for “Atlas of Extractive Industries” for Transparency Lab (2021-2022)
- Designed portfolio zine, “i am not an artist” (2019)
- Designed mock-project, “the architecture of good intentions” (2019)
Public writing and journalism
- “Omnivorous analysis: where do satellite images come from?”, Logic Magazine (2022)
- “Who wries the first draft of history?”, The Graduate Press (2021)
- “The ‘open’ movement and Its discontents”, Graduate Institute (2020)
- J Ding, C Akiki, Y Jernite, AL Steele, T Popo, “Towards Openness Beyond Open Access: User Journeys through 3 Open AI Collaboratives,” (2023)
- M Matthiessen, AL Steele, “Rendering Supply Chains Research and Its (Dis)contents: An Anti-Paper on Open Knowledge and Maintenance as a Research Ethos” (2022)
- AL Steele “Investigating the Global and Local in Wangchuck Centennial National Park: A Case for the Bhutanese Conservation Actors In-Between” (2018)
- Interviewed for expert-panel podcast “AI and its impact on our daily lives” by Graduate Institute (2023) in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Interviewed for NHS-R podcast “The Turing Way” (2022) online.
- “The Turing Way: Changing research culture through open collaboration”. Presented various conferences included FOSDEM (2022) in Brussels, Belgium.
- “Understanding Maintenance as a Turing Way”. Presented at FOSS Backstage (2023) in Berlin, Germany.
- “Reimagining global connectivity: low earth orbit satellites and internet supply chains”. Presented at Connected Life in Oxford, UK (2022).
- “Rendering supply chains research (in the vector economy)”. Presented at Transmediale, Rendering Research workshop in Brussels, Belgium (2022).
- “Mapping crises, communities, and capitalism on OpenStreetMap: situating humanitarian mapping”. Presented at HOT Summit (2021) online and State of the Map (2022) in Florence, Italy.
- “Data visualization and crowdsourced research: experiments in collective storytelling”. Presented at csv,Conf,v6 (2021) and RightsCon (2021), both online.
- “Mapathons: spaces of care and caretography,” Presented at Harvard GRISTS (2021), online.
- “Open Research Data 101”. Presented Frictionless tools at Open Data Day workshop by Open Knowledge Foundation (2021) online.
- “Research Infrastructure Roles”. Given at Collaborations Workshop (2022) and Big Team Science (2022, 2023), with Esther Plomp, Emma Karoune,
- “Designing for Data Rights in the AI Production Pipeline”. Given at MozFest (2023), with Jennifer Ding and Yacine Jernite.
- “Git Good: Using Github for Collaboration”. Given at CarpentryCon (2022), given with Hari Sood and Sophia Batchelor.
- “The Social Lives of Our Supply Chains”. Given at MozFest (2021), with Miriam Matthiessen.
- Guest lecture for “Internet Geographies” course at The New School, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts (2022), given with Miriam Matthiessen.
- Internet Society – Early Career Fellowship (2022)
- Wikimedia Deutschland – Unlock Residency (2021)
- Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies – Student Leadership Award (2021)
- Open Knowledge Foundation – Reproducibility Research Fellowship (2020-2021)
- Roy A. Hunt Scholarship & Trailblazer Grant – School for Field Studies (2017)